The 25th anniversary of The ACE Group Classic officially starts at 10:30 a.m. on Friday morning. As the tournament approaches, here are a few things to watch for:
1. Can Bernhard Langer Defend His Title?
Langer’s 2011 wire-to-wire win was truly remarkable, as he posted scores of 64-66-66 to finish four shots in front of Fred Funk and set The ACE Group Classic record for lowest total score at 20-under par. Last year’s title was Langer’s 14th on the Champions Tour. Langer should definitely be considered a favorite to capture this year’s title.
2. Notable Newcomers
Tom Lehman, Corey Pavin, Brad Faxon and Kenny Perry will all be competing in their first ACE Group Classic. Lehman put together an impressive year in 2011, winning three times, including a major title at the Regions Tradition, while also finishing at the top of the Champions Tour money list. Pavin, coming off his first Champions Tour win last week at the Allianz Championship, looks to continue his solid play. Perry and Faxon, who have 22 career PGA TOUR wins between them, are looking at 2012 as their opportunity to put their stamp on the Champions Tour. This group of newcomers should definitely play a factor in this year’s outcome.
3. A Return to TwinEagles
For the first time in tournament history, The ACE Group Classic will return to a venue that previously hosted the event. The TwinEagles Club hosted the tournament from 2002-2006. After several days of practice rounds, the course has received nothing but positive reviews from Champions Tour players. “The golf course (at TwinEagles) is very nice. It’s all pretty much right in front of you. There’s not a lot of trickery out there”, said Corey Pavin. He continued, “if the weather is going to be like it is now, which I think it is, I think there could be some pretty decent scores shot here.”
Other Spectator Tips:
- Be sure to pick up a pairings guide before heading out onto the course.
- Enjoy all the latest updates in tournament action from the ease and comfort of your smartphone! Download the SportsPASS app on your iPhone or Android and then add The ACE Group Classic as an event to receive all pertinent information.
- Be sure to visit the concession stands throughout the course. Concessions are located near hole #3 green, hole #10 green, hole #13 green and hole #18 green.
- Fifth Third Bank ATMs are located near the Insperity Driving Range as well as near the Naples Daily News Putting Green.
- Restrooms are located throughout the course as well as the practice area and clubhouse.